Monday, November 24, 2008

Goin' Way Back...

So, are you familiar with Facebook and MySpace? I wasn't either until about 6 months ago or so.
I had heard all the horrible things about it and wanted no part of it. One of the most horrifying things I "knew" about it before I joined was about the girls who recorded the beating of another girl and posted it on their MySpace pages. They somehow lured her into a house, locked her in and beat her while others, including two boys, recorded it. If I remember right it was about a boy-big suprise!
How vicious! When I was in high school girls were mean, unrelenting, vindictive and just plain ridiculous but I don't remember them being that vicious. Believe me I would know. I was one of the mean, vindictive and ridiculous girls but we weren't vicious. So from what I knew MySpace was BAD.
And then my sister lured me into her Space and my cousins into theirs. Before MySpace I would talk to my cousins about once a year during our family trips. Now I can "talk" to them every day. I can see how their day has been, what their weekend plans are and their latest pictures.
I have also been able to reconnect with friends I didn't think I'd ever see again or didn't know I wanted to see again.
So a few of my girlfriends that I tried to lure into my Space would have nothing to do with it and then BAM all three of them hit me up to join Facebook within days of eachother. I protested. I complained. I drug my feet. I didn't want to cheat on my MySpace friends. I looked. I found more friends. I...fell...in...love...with...Facebook. I haven't left MySpace. I'll always have a spot in my heart for MySpace. It still has it's purposes but it doesn't make me feel the way Facebook does. I don't have to dress up my page for Facebook. I don't have to fill out surveys all day. Facebook just wants my story. And it includes me in everyone else's.
At first when I was reading my friends stories on Facebook I couldn't believe who was "friends" with who. I was thinking "I know what you said about that person 15 years ago and now you want to be friends with them?!" But then the more mature (a-hem!) part of me thought "wow, this is awesome! I'm glad you can finally talk to them or they can joke with you. I'm one of them. I know I said some things about people I am not proud of and am so thankful that they now want me as their "friend".
So in honor of that...here are some photos I have posted on MySpace and Facebook. I feel like such a teenager again reading what everyone is saying about the other! And, for the record, friends, the photos of me are not very flattering either so please be gentle on your revenge!
Back to regularly scheduled posting from...oh...about January...soon!
Thanks for stopping by and hanging on through the end of this...you made it all this way so why don't you show me some love and let me know you were here :)

1 comment:

Cristy said...

Hi Rikki yes I stopped by, I'm obsessed with FB myself, and I think this was an awesome post! I have re-connected with people I thought would never accept my friend request, and I'm grateful that we have all grown-up and can "forgive" each other for our stupid immature nature in H.S. I too said things I regret and regret the way I treated certain people, Hight School was a hard time for me, a time when things in my life were pretty much falling apart (family wise) and I kept it all inside and tended to take out of people at school, so to all of you PLEASE FORGIVE ME!!!! Thanks Rikki, I didn't know I had this much to say about the matter, LOVE this post.
Cristy